Innovation business leaders sharing insights
BRINGING LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE FIELD TO STUDENTS EMBARKING ON THEIR CARREERS
In 2011, while operating Light Think Studios, Inc., we were finishing two innovation projects for two very different clients, a Fortune 500 company and Santa Fe Community College (SFCC).
At SFCC, we saw students engaged in collaborative, hands-on training seeking sustainable sources of energy by growing algae in the Biofuels Lab.
Working for the Fortune 500 company, we asked the VP in-charge of our project why innovation was so challenging? He replied, “It isn’t something we’re taught how to do. Good enough and greater efficiency is what we know, not innovation.”
Experiencing these moments side by side allowed us to see that the only way improve performance and create a competitive edge for businesses, like our Fortune 500 client, we need to disrupt the years of thinking and practice that limit them so that innovation can emerge.
This is why Light Think University created the Legacy of Innovation Project; hands-on, real-world innovation training for any year college student pursuing any major using the existing built-environment of their college campus.
WHAT THE PROJECT ISN'T:
- an experience applicable only to design majors.
- a typical classroom experience
- a superficial dalliance into project experience
- one semester long; the committment is for the life of the project (roughly 3 semesters or 4 quarters)
WHAT THE PROJECT IS:
- an immersive internship
- an opportunity to get real project experience
- an innovation incubator
- a capstone course that is more active and participatory than just writing a paper
- an opportunity to work with professionals and develop a mentor relationship for the life of your career.
- a chance to be exposed to companies with opportunities available to you upon graduation.
- an anthropological experience; you will gain insight in human behavior and how that translates to good design
- a chance to work across majors and areas of study in order to deepen your understanding of innovative problem solving.
- A learning experience that can be customized to your specific area of interest.